top of page
Student Calling on the Phone

International students are indeed allowed to render some hours for work as they continue on with their studies. The skills, knowledge and experiences from taking up a part-time job while you study, will certainly boost your credentials in the eyes of your future employers.

According to the Ministry of Manpower (MOM), international students on a Student Pass are eligible to work part-time for about 16 hours a week during term and for unlimited hours during vacation.  In order to work in Singapore, International  students require a training work permit and work permit exemption, both provided by the Ministry of Manpower. 

  • Be enrolled in an institution approved by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM), Singapore. 

  • You should be registered as full-time student in one of the approved institutions

  • Not be an exchange student 

  • Have a valid student pass issued by the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) of Singapore. 

  • You have to notify MOM of your intention to work before starting working. It is an offence to pursue a part-time job before informing them

  • Comply with other legal requirements in Singapore. 

Unlike other countries, Singapore does not allow international students  to take up any work. Universities in Singapore have internships that are related to the course you are planning to study. A student can only opt for these related internships. Also, most of the universities have partnerships with industrial houses which would provide the students with a part-time working opportunity. What students must understand here is even if you are studying in an approved university, if the university does not have an industrial attachment program (neither compulsory nor elective), then you are not eligible for part-time work.

There is a set of criteria for international students interested in working and studying in Singapore. Here they are:

  • Undergraduates The training attachment in Singapore must be part of the trainee’s degree programme from an acceptable educational institution.

  • Qualifications for Training Employment Pass are as follows:

  • The student must be earning an SGD 2,500 monthly fixed salary.

  • Must be professionally qualified.

The country also has a Work Holiday Programme that allows undergraduates to live, work and study in Singapore for six months.

After completion of the degree, International students can apply a work visa to work in Singapore. Generally, graduates will be granted a Short-Term Visit Pass after their student pass has been cancelled/expired, this visa will allow students to stay in Singapore for an up to 90 days period. International students can use this extra time to live and look for a job in Singapore, but it does not allow you to take any type of employment while you are on this visa.

If you are graduating from a university which in the list of Institute of Higher Learning, and seeking employment in Singapore, you may have an option to apply for a one-year (non-renewable) Long-term Social Visit Pass (LTVP). International students can use this period to work and stay in Singapore. 

Besides, there are other three types of work visa options available to ALL international students who work in Singapore after they graduated. 

  1. Employment Pass is one of the most common work visas for international students to remain and work in Singapore after their studies. This work visa caters to foreign professionals who work in a managerial, executive or specialised job. Therefore, applicants must meet a minimum salary of S$4,500 per month and with acceptable educational qualifications such as a good university degree, professional qualifications or specialist skills. Their employer must sponsor their work visa.

  2. S Pass is one of another common work visa for international students to remain and work in Singapore after their studies. This work visa is catering for mid-skilled foreign employees who are technicians or specialists. Applicants must also meet a minimum salary of S$2,400 per month (will be raised to $2,500 for new applications from 1 October 2020) and with acceptable educational qualifications such as a degree or a diploma. Their employer must sponsor their work visa.

  3. EntrePass is a visa option for international graduates who wish to develop ideas or entrepreneurial skills by setting up a new business in Singapore. You must have started, or intend to start, a private limited company registered with Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) Singapore. At the same time, other criteria also have to be fulfilled.

  4.  Work Permit - Work Permit is available for foreigners who want to work in Singapore. This work visa is for workers who work in the construction, manufacturing, marine shipyard, process or services sector. The work permit is not a common work visa option for International students to work in Singapore after they graduated.

Work while studying in Singapore 

bottom of page