top of page
Image by Towfiqu barbhuiya

Frequently asked Questions

  • What is the difference between a Study Permit and a Temporary Resident Visa?
    While a study permit authorizes international students to pursue their studies while in Canada, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) allows a person to enter Canada. Depending on the country of citizenship, an international student may need a TRV for entry. For overseas applications, applicants from countries whose citizens require TRV in order to enter Canada will be issued a TRV automatically if the application for a study permit is approved. These applicants do not need to submit a separate application for a TRV and there is no separate fee.
  • Are scholarships available to international students in Canada?
    Scholarships may be available to international students from private, government or public institutions in Canada. There may be scholarships available to international students from the study institution of choice. Contact our Counsellors for more details.
  • Is a study permit required for short courses?
    An applicant is not required to obtain a study permit for a program, which is less than six months in duration. However, if a course is longer than six months, the prospective student will need to apply for a study permit.
  • Is a medical exam required for a study permit?
    An applicant may be required to undergo a medical examination based on the discretion of the visa officer.
  • What is the minimum duration of any post study work visa in New Zealand?
    Full time international students who are above 18 years can apply for a student visa which can be useful for working for a minimum of 4 years. The minimum duration varies between 6 months to 4 years.
  • Can international students stay in New Zealand after graduation?
    Once you have finished your study, you may be eligible to stay on and work in New Zealand. If you have achieved a New Zealand qualification, you may be able to apply for a post study work visa that lets you stay in New Zealand for up to three years. This will allow you to get some practical work experience.
  • What is MRV fee?
    The receipt generated from the payment of the Machine Readable Visa (MRV) fee is termed as MRV Receipt number. The MRV is a government-mandated visa processing fee that is required to be paid whether your visa is approved for travel or not. The MRV fee is non-transferable and non-refundable in nature.
  • How much does it cost to study in the USA?
    Tuition fees vary based on institution. Please contact our counsellors where you intend to study for more information.
  • Is there age limitations to attend U.S. universities?
    In general, you must have completed high school and you must be at least 17 years of age.
  • What is the academic calendar for universities in the United States?
    The academic year usually runs from August through May with breaks for holidays. Most universities use either the semester system (two terms), the quarter system (students attend three out of four total terms), or the trimester system (three terms).
  • What is the difference between "Undergraduate" and "Graduate" degrees?
    Undergraduate programs follow high school and lead to an associate (two-year) degree or a bachelor (four-year) degree. Graduate programs follow a bachelor’s degree and lead to a master’s or doctoral degree.
  • What are the different types of undergraduate degrees?
    Associate: a two-year program that either leads to a specific vocation or transitions to a bachelor program. Bachelor: a four or five-year program where students earn credits in a wide variety of courses.
  • What are the different types of graduate degrees?
    Masters: two-year degree providing additional specialization. Doctorate: five to eight-year program certifying the student as a trained research scholar and/or professor.
  • What is the length of study for MBA programs in the U.S.?
    MBA programs typically last one to two years.
  • Can you work while studying in the United States?
    With permission of the International Student Office, international students may work on campus up to 20 hours/week their first year and can apply to work off-campus in subsequent years.
  • What are English language proficiency requirements?
    U.S. universities require an English language proficiency test before admission to ensure you can read, write, and speak fluently.
  • Do students have to study a fixed set of subjects or can they individually form their major?
    It depends: Some degree programs are highly structured. Bachelors' degrees are very flexible and sometimes allow you to create your own program.
  • Which English language tests are accepted by American institutions?
    The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and the Test of English as a Foreign language (TOEFL) is accepted by universities and colleges in the US.
  • Is there any special requirement for under 18 students to study in the US?
    All students under 18 years of age must have arrangements for a guardian in place for the duration of their stay in the US. If you do not have a guardian in the US, you can opt for government verified local guardians at a minimal cost.
  • Is IELTS required for Singapore student visa?
    Language proficiency test scores like IELTS or TOEFL might be required (not necessarily) for Singapore Student Visa if your chosen university has specified the same.
  • How long does it take to get Singapore student visa??
    The processing time for Singapore Student Visa can be somewhere between 15 days to a maximum of 4 weeks and mainly varies as per the type of academic institution.
  • What is an EZ-link card?
    The EZ-Link is a contactless store-value card which is primarily used for paying public transport fares, i.e. buses and the MRT.
bottom of page